Pages

Monday, August 26, 2013

The Streets Of Kristianstad

This week has been an amazing one to say the least. On Tuesday morning I called Syster Anderson to see what time she would be coming in to Kristianstad and she said "I got a call yesterday that I am going up to Sundsvall instead!" WHAT? I had no idea who my new companion was going to be! Sister Swenson remembered that she had gotten an email with Syster Richins tickets on it but she didn't think anything of it and then I realized that my mom wrote me in her email that Syster Richins mom told her that we were going to be companions. So long story short... mom knew who my companion was before I did!
Goodbye Party for Swenson
It was a pretty sad goodbye with Syster Swenson. Right after she got on the train to leave, I thought "Wait! I don't know how to do this without her!"
I thought it would be very hard adjusting to a new companion and doing things differently than what I have been doing for the past three months... But I can't even tell you enough how much I LOVE Syster Richins. She has been a HUGE example to me and even though we got out here at the same time, I have already learned so much from her. I can't believe I keep getting so blessed with such amazing companions!
Adelide's new companion, Sister Richins
We speak Swedish 24/7 and during the day there is never a time to rest! We talk to everyone that passes by us and return home exhausted. But I absolutely love it. I would never take back the time I spent with Swenson and the relationships we made with the ward and the work that we did together. I learned so much from her and now I am learning from my new companion. Speaking the language 24/7 has been hard but both Syster Richins and I know that our success of being able to talk so easily with people on the streets has come from that. I have realized that I can ACTUALLY communicate in another language! Our lessons this week went from 19/20ish (what I normally have) To 27 lessons. We got about 17 numbers this week from people on the streets and got back in contact with some less actives and previous investigators whom we are meeting with next week.
Kristianstad
The first miracle that happened this week was on Tuesday night. All of our lessons got cancelled and I had no idea what we should do- so we went back to the apartment and decided to call some of the Less Actives in our ward. We called three numbers and none of them picked up. We then had the bright idea to say a prayer to Heavenly Father to help guide us. I opened back up the area book and called the first number I saw. A man answered. His name is Viktor and he immediately invited us to come over. We went over to his house and talked to him and his mother who have both been inactive for 8 years and havent had contact with the missionaries for 2. We had an amazing lesson about Christ and Faith. The spirit was there and we were truly being led to know what to say to Viktor. He invited us to come back next week and said "I have been thinking about church recently and have been wanting to go back- I just dont know when." The Lord answers prayers.

On Wednesday we taught Alexandra and talked about her baptism. Her mom is still not accepting. Alexandra said she doesn't feel ready and that she is a little scared right now to be baptized because of what her parents think. We asked her what she likes about our church. She paused... and then bore the sweetest testimony. She knows it's true. I felt the spirit bear testimony to me that Alexandra is ready and that she will be baptized. I don't know when- its going to take a lot of faith and prayer from Alexandra. We asked the young kids in our branch to pray for Alexandra's parents to soften their hearts and because I know that the Lord answers prayers in his own timing and in his own way- Alexandra will be able to be baptized.

After teaching Alexandra we decided to track the whole building that we were in. After four floors, we were not having much success. We prayed again and then Syster Richins said "Watch, its going to be the last door we knock on." After 5 more floors, we reached the tenth floor. Knocked on all of the doors and then on the last one two little kids answered. Their mom came to the door and started speaking to us in broken Swedish (She is from Iraq) with a huge smile on her face. We explained a little bit about our gospel and she told us she needed to call her husband but that we could come back next week. After we left the building we went out to the parking lot and I felt so impressed to talk to a man who was getting out of his car. We talked to him and he gave us each a candy bar. We asked if we could come by and teach him next week and he said "Well yes! You've already spoken to my wife!" His wife was the lady we talked to in the apartment building. It was not a coincidence.

One more story... haha I have so many :) But while we were contacting, we talked to a guy named Julius who is about 27 and is a Swede. He said "this is actually great timing because I just recently started becoming interested in God." We gave him a Book of Mormon yesterday and then met with him yesterday and he had already read to chapter 25 in 1 Nephi!

Yesterday I spoke again in sacrament meeting and I didn't have anything prepared until relief society when I came across D&C 50:40-46. I am sure I have read this a million times and I already had it marked in my scriptures, but this time it just made so much sense to me. It made so much sense to me of WHY missionary work is so important. Of why we are sent all over the world to spread this gospel and why we are asked to share the gospel with our friends and family at home.

"Behold, ye are little children and ye cannot bear all things now; ye must grow in GRACE and in the KNOWLEDGE of TRUTH. Fear not, little children, for you are mine, and I have overcome the world, and ye are of them that my Father hath given me; And NONE of them that my father hath given me shall be LOST. And the Father and I are one. I am in the Father and the Father in me; and inasmuch as ye have received me, ye are in me and I IN YOU. Wherefore, I am in your midst, and I am the good shepherd, and the stone of Israel. He that buildeth upon this rock shall NEVER fall. And the day cometh that you shall HEAR my voice and SEE me and KNOW that I am. Watch therefore, that ye may be ready."

NONE of His children will be lost. I have such a strong testimony of this scripture. We must be ready, be examples, and do missionary work so that ALL of Gods children can make it home to live with Him again. So beautiful and so comforting.

Sorry this is so long, but I am so happy to be here right now. I know I need to be here. I am grateful for what I am learning and the people I am meeting. I am grateful for your support. I happy to be talking to people on the streets so that they have the opportunity to hear of this message- even though the next day we found one of our pass along cards torn up on the street haha.
I have really had to humble myself this week and just learn from my companion, but I am grateful for what I have learned and that I am having these incredible experiences. Have a wonderful week in school! I love y'all.

S.A.L.C.   (Syster Adelide Louisa Christensen)

No comments:

Post a Comment